Poultry and probiotics
By Dr. Martin R. Moreira Ph.D.

Approximately 90 % of the intestinal flora in birds is composed of facultative lactic acid producing bacteria such as lactobacilli, Enterococcus and some strictly anaerobic bacteria. The remaining 10 % are such as Escherichia coli, ClostridiumStaphylococcusPseudomonas, and others. (FOX, 1988).

OrganoDerm Dry &Liquid  is Composed of the following Colony Forming Units direct fed microbials,  yeasts and other components:

1.    Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus licheniformis have been proven highly effective in the control of necrotic enteritis.
2.    Natural hydrated alumino silicate micotoxin binder
3.    Natural Yeast cell wall micotoxin binder and immune booster. Excludes pathogenic bacteria.
4.     Live active yeast an excellent growth promoter. Also a superior micotoxin binder.
5.     Yucca scidigera high in natural steroidal sapogenin content. Improves nitrogen utilization. Controls ammonia emiccions on litter. Lowers intestinal ammonia levels.


Poultry grown in intensive production facilities are subjected to many additional types of stressors such as:

1. Transportation from the hatchery facility to the farm
2. High production density and overpopulation
3. Vaccination programs
4. Variations in environmental temperatures

These and many other stressors tend to have a detrimental effect in the normal balance of the intestinal flora resulting in a decreased immune response, (JIN et al., 1997), which results in increased intestinal infections such as putrefaction with the ensuing formation and secretion of toxins and therefore diminished production results such as rate of growth, feed conversion, egg production, fertility and hatchability. Qualitative factors are affected as well such as the carcass quality. These problems are further exacerbated by the likely increase of opportunistic pathogenic bacteria, resultant diarrheas and anemic conditions. (FOX, 1988).

Research involving plausible solutions to this problem has recently focused attention on the natural defense mechanisms that are normally available to poultry and livestock in general in their own intestinal portal tissue. OrganoDerm Dry &Liquid  is one leading and high quality result of such intense research and investigation by Organic Chemical Solutions LLC Inc., OrganoDerm Dry &Liquid seeks to restore the negative effects produced via antibiotic treatments, degrade many deleterious types of mycotoxins and bacterial toxins, and to eventually replace the use of antibiotics altogether.

Use of probiotic for Poultry

The use of probiotics for poultry started more than 30 years ago by the development of the concept Competitive Exclusion by Nurmi and Rantala in 1973. The concept was originally designed for Salmonella reduction in growing chicken and was based on introduction of gut contents originating from healthy adult birds to young bird (Schneitz, 2005). From a safety point of view the concept has some disadvantages due to the unknown content of the gut originating form adults that could harbor few pathogens or transferable resistance against antibiotics or different violence factors. The variation of the gut content is also unknown due to difficulties characterizing the total micro flora. Authorities like EFSA have therefore not accepted such product based on extract from gut content. Therefore most probiotic products are based on single or combination of well characterized bacteria or live yeast. There is currently little research available in the use of probiotics in poultry.  Probiotics as such may be characterized as cultures of live micro-organisms most of which are Lactobacilli and which have the ability to colonize the digestive tract when consumed as a dietary supplement by any given species. One of the main objectives in supplementing probiotics in the diet is to insure that the normal population balance of pathogenic and beneficial organisms is maintained in the intestinal lumen.  Probiotics work through a process known as competitive exclusion.

OrganoDerm Dry &Liquid is made in the United States of America. It is packaged in 25 kilogram multi walled, heat sealed paper bags to protect product integrity. Call ATCO your local area distributor for additional information. Below is the contact information: